Hey guys! For those of you who don’t know, #ammconnect is a way for mentee hopefuls participating in Author Mentor Match to share something about themselves and the story they are writing. What is Author Mentor Match? Well, you can find out here! (But essentially, it’s a chance for aspiring authors to find a mentor!)
Let me first say a huge THANK YOU to all the mentors. Please know that us hopefuls are more than grateful for the opportunity to apply and no matter who you choose, it will be a life-changing experience. You all are making such a difference in the community! (I’m low-key panicking trying to choose who to submit to because holy wow….)
Additionally, I’m always looking to connect with more writer friends! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you are too!
So without further delay, here are some fun facts about my novel!
Genre: YA Fantasy
Word Count: 95k
Reverie has never been queried! It has been through several rounds of revisions with my critique partners, but I am still looking for how it can be improved and polished before sending it out! If I had to choose comp titles, I’d say my story is somewhere in the realm of Shadow and Bone, Kiss of Deception, and The Seven Realms.
Everyn has spent her eighteen years of life in hiding. As one of only two living heirs to the Ashan throne, many would see her dead. But before she can claim her mother’s crown, the law requires proof she is educated and fit to be queen. As she battles her inner resentment towards the outside world, Everyn must find a way to meet the qualifications while keeping her heritage a secret.
While Everyn attends Terra, a prestigious university on neutral grounds, she quickly finds herself surrounded on all sides. When the headmaster’s mysterious apprentice offers to accelerate her schooling, Everyn can’t refuse, but the more she is swept up in his plans, the more she realizes no one at Terra is who they seem. Everyn must choose who to trust if she wants to make it out alive.
Meanwhile, Tristam Alaryk, the rival heir to the throne, is on the hunt for Everyn. He’s dangerously close to finding her, and he has no intention of allowing her to usurp his claim as High King of Asha.
Everyn’s life isn’t the only thing at stake, and war is about to break loose over control of Asha. Soon, Everyn will have to choose how much of herself she is willing to sacrifice in order to save her kingdom.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Castles! Hidden identities! Romance! Plot twists (multiple)!
- A broken heroine who needs to learn to believe in herself.
- An element of #ownvoices – one of my characters has the same illness/disease that I do. It’s important to me to have representation for those who struggle day in and day out to have a normal life in the midst of pain.
- A diverse cast. (All books should be this way…)
- Multiple POVs (mostly between the two rival heirs…)
- I also believe that strength isn’t just physical. I’m hoping to showcase characters that are strong in other ways, with attributes such as cleverness, kindness, and hopefulness.
- Unique settings and politics in a new world. You’ll also get to visit multiple kingdoms and castles!
- New magic system!
- I’m a HUGE sucker for villains (*cough* The Darkling). In my story, you can expect [multiple] complex villains and anti-heroes, though the focus is on one very important one!) (heyooo…)
- Female empowerment and friendships! Romance with tension tension tension! It’s my goal to make you sweat. (Omg, I think I’m the real villain here…)
- Certain tropes that I find delicious 😉 And hey, feel free to ship any of my characters. Enemies to lovers, you ask? I ADMIT NOTHING. *hides*
- Oh, I totally drew a map, as you can see.
- I may or may not have an extensive playlist already created on Spotify.
- And I have a lot of Pinterest boards.
Here’s what my book doesn’t have:
- No girl hate. Nope nope nope. (But there are characters who misunderstand each other.)
- No POC dying for character development. I would never do that. I do have characters who rescue each other (girls equally fighting for each other), but no white savior nonsense.
- No rape scenes omg.
- No faeries, elves, paranormal elements, or were-anything. Not that I don’t enjoy those, but they aren’t right for this book!
A little about me:
I’m Brittney, and my life hasn’t turned out like I expected (and that’s ok). I grew up as an artist. I went to school for design, graduated with honors, and became a web designer. Not long after, I was promoted to Art Director and given a team of designers to serve/lead. It was my dream job, but who knew I had another dream buried beneath the soil?
I got really sick, and I mean REALLY sick. We didn’t know what was wrong with me at the time, and after my condition worsened, I made the decision to give up my job. (Long story short, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease.)
I started reading. A LOT. Between all the doctor appointments and days spent in bed or in an IV room, reading became that one thing I could look forward to. Not only that, but the reading community has changed my life. I’ve met friends I wouldn’t trade for the world, and who have helped shape me into the person I am today. Then I realized writing was a form of art I could do even when my body wouldn’t cooperate in other ways. I fell so deeply in love with it, and here I am. I actually loved writing in my earlier years, but I became so busy and wrapped up in life that I overlooked something that would become my greatest solace and hobby. Words can’t express how much joy it brings into my life.
(Also a huge shout-out to my husband, who is the most selfless man on earth for loving a wife who can’t return the massages, can’t clean the house, and can’t even make her own breakfast. I LOVE YOU.)
As a mentee:
I’m fully dedicated to my story, and that means I’m willing to chop, revise, and scrap just about anything. I’m desperate to learn and grow. I don’t get offended and I’m fine with any critique style! I’m driven and self-motivated, and I’m hoping someone will see my vision for the story and help me find ways to tell it better! I’m also very interested in improving my scene craft, and I’ve been hard at work learning as much as I can. I’d also like to point out that I plan on hiring sensitivity readers. (Also, you can bet I’ll be flailing over your book(s) as well. I’d love a long term friendship/CP!)
Other fun facts:
- My favorite books include: Shadow and Bone (trilogy), Warcross, An Enchantment of Ravens, Caraval, The Lunar Chronicles, Shades of Magic (trilogy), Six of Crows (duology), A Court of Mist and Fury
- I’m a happy person and I get excited easily (the flailing is real.)
- I grew up on Disney movies and I’m still unashamed to be obsessed. (Also, aside from Disney, I freaking LOVE Anastasia.)
- Germany has 40k+ castles. Yep, you saw that right. My life goal is to visit them. I’m obsessed with castles. If you can’t tell.
- My hobbies outside of reading (when I’m well enough) include hand lettering and painting!
- I LOVE goofing off and fangirling over ANYTHING. Can we be friends? Pretty please?!
- I’m a Christian, and I believe God is LOVE. I believe in loving others as you love yourself, treating others as you would want to be treated. The media/politics make me sick. If I could wrap a giant hug around the world, I would.
Anyway, that’s all for now, folks! If you want to find me elsewhere, check the links below!