Whew okay. 3.5 stars….and I finally have my full review up!
I’d first like to give credit to the author… where it is most certainly deserved.
Roshani Chokshi paints with words.
She is an artist, and this book is an abstract painting – beautifully crafted and intricately detailed – leaving you with a sort of ‘haze’ impression. Being a physical artist myself, I can certainly appreciate the visionary that she is.
Her artistry deserves nothing short of 5 stars.
“I promised you the moon for your throne and stars to wear in your hair,” said Amar, gesturing inside. “And I always keep my promises.”
So while I mean that compliment to her with all my heart, it also caused me some grief while reading this. I found myself lost in between the words. Rather than connecting to the story like I wanted to, I was having to reread paragraphs over and over in order to decipher their meaning. The story was there… the emotions were there.. but I was too busy trying to understand what was going on; what I was supposed to gleam from the chapters.
So this is my final impression, put simply:
1. Gorgeous and lavish writing
2. Memorable quotes that will make you think
3. Abstract, you’ll have to dive in hardcore to get the story
4. Confusing; you’ll have to reread sections
5. Almost everything is an analogy or symbolism so be prepared
6. The story is Deathless meets ACOTAR/ACOMAF
7. The romance is sweet (I think I disagree somewhat about the insta-love – I can’t say why because of spoilers.. but I would have loved to SEE the development more – the whole show don’t tell mentality)
8. Interesting take on Hades/Persephone with a mix of Indian mythology
9. Probably drink a glass of wine while reading this
10. And definitely pinterest some of the visuals for added experience
So do I recommend this book?
Absolutely- but to readers that have a mindset to tackle this book with slow precision and who can appreciate the surrealism.
So please try this book if you are interested. I am not sorry I read it, and I’ll still treasure my experience during it even if I was a bit lost.
Plus, I now have several new quotes from dear Roshani to hand letter out for my instagram/bookstagram!! (@herbookisthings)